There is nothing like fall in New England. The brisk air, picturesque fall scenery, and the leaves showing off their colors set a beautiful scene. But when the weather is too chilly or the storms set in, seeking shelter in our homes is a coveted comfort. Help your home perform its best with a sturdy roof! Here are some tips to get you started on preparing your roof and home for fall so you can rest easy through this season.
Fall Prep Tips
- Clean the gutters. This helps prevent infestations of vermin and insects, and also ensures that blockages will not bust your gutters or their fixtures in wet, freezing weather.
- Inspect seals around doors and windows. Close any gaps with caulking to help your AC and heating units better maintain indoor temperatures.
- Replace missing or damaged shingles. The heat and storms of summer can take a toll on your roof without you realizing it. Carefully check for cracked, curled, or bruised shingles.
- Trim the trees. Trees grow at almost a constant rate year round in spite of weather conditions. Pay special attention to trimming trees near your roof line or over your roof.
- Consider installing a backup generator. It is not uncommon for fall and winter storms to knock out electricity to many neighborhoods. A generator can keep you and your family comfortable and well fed while waiting for the power to return.
- Update amenities for outdoor pets. Especially so if they stay outdoors during the winter. Consider insulating their shelter or installing hanging heating lamps.
- Have your roof inspected by a roofing professional. Damage to your roof can be hard to detect by untrained eyes. A professional roofing inspection can help you catch issues before they progress and turn into expensive repairs.
Call our roofing professionals today at (860) 633-7243 for a free estimate! Our team is happy to discuss fall roof preparation or any other questions you may have.