Copper roofs have recently made a splash in the roofing world. Their timeless beauty and long standing protection make this roofing application ideal for any home. Here we have compiled some fast facts about copper and its incredible uses.
- The oldest copper roofed building in America is a church in Philadelphia dating back to 1727! However, the most famous copper structure in America is our own Lady Liberty, sculpted in 1884 from over 160,000 pounds of copper.
- Copper roofing is estimated to have a lifespan of over 100 years. In comparison, asphalt shingles are estimated to have a 15-30 year lifespan.
- In most of the U.S., copper oxidizes to develop its signature blue-green coating after many years. Arid zones of the U.S. encourage an earthen brown coating.
- Unlike rust oxidation which corrodes and destroys metal, the oxidation of copper and the development of its blue-green coating actually protects it.
- Copper can be formed to fit irregularly shaped roofs more easily than many other roofing applications. Curved roofs and domes take excellently to copper roofing, making copper a practical solution to tricky roof features.
The professionals at Alliance Roofing are well rehearsed in copper roofing installation and repair. If you are ready to explore a copper roof for your home, call us today at 860-633-7243!